Thursday, March 10, 2011

Now for our week at home

It's funny to call our current house "home" because, really, they are both home now. But that is where we are this week. I think we've figured out that a week here, then a week there, then back here for a week might be a good, less stressful, more productive system. I can plan a week's worth of meals, a weeks worth of clean laundry, and then we can stay somewhere long enough to get more accomplished. Well, that's the plan anyway.

I hope I don't bore everyone with details, but I'm also hoping that someone who may one day be in my shoes will benefit from my experience. So, here it goes...This week I planned to make more homecooked-from-scratch foods, since last time's experiment with all the packaged stuff failed. So, I found a store more than 30 minutes from the property that had organics. And I went shopping there. Definitely an option if I'm totally out of some things that aren't sold locally. And, aside from the whole "organic" thing, there are very basic foods in my cooking, like coconut oil, that organic or not, are just not available (except at this store)! I'm always amazed at the rows and rows of different brands of "vegetable oil", but the utter lack of true variety. At Wal-Mart, if I want something other than "vegetable oil", or olive oil, I am out of luck (at least at this one). What about sesame oil, peanut oil, coconut oil, flax oil, etc.? Anyhow, I digress. I also drove to the farm (about 30 minutes) which has milk and other milk products (yogurt, kefir, etc.), cheese, eggs, beef, chicken, and even things like salt, grains, etc. It is operated by a lovely Mennonite family who are so friendly, and we always have a good visit. I was able to test the limits of my little dorm fridge and get a reasonable amount of food in there for the week. Things went well this time: I didn't spend much time in the kitchen and I felt significantly better health-wise.

My productivity is waning, as is the list of jobs that I can actually help with now. However, I had HOPED to get the laundry room painted this week. I thought it was totally doable, since the laundry room is the size of a large closet. As I swept the floor after dinner one night, I realized that, once again, I would not get to paint that laundry room. I just had to give that desire up to God. I've started working off a list of priorities each day, to make sure that the most important things happen everyday, and I had done that this day, and the laundry room was not more important than educating the children, spending time talking with them, and making sure that everyone had healthy meals to eat. So, I went to bed in peace that night, knowing that I'd accomplished the important things, and that God would take care of the rest. I just kept thinking of the verse, "Seek ye FIRST the kingdom of God, and his righteousness, and ALL THESE THINGS shall be added unto you." I saw it happen this week. I saw my two little boys dragging all the things, HEAVY things, that were stored in the laundry room, out to another room in preparation for painting. This was something I'd planned to do but just didn't have the energy, but they did it for me. When God says that children are a blessing and a reward, he means it! They really are. My children are doing for me things I cannot do right now in my big, pregnant state, and I am so thankful to them for that.

The week's agenda includes (starting Monday): the week off homeschool for the boys, and a big house sort/cleanout! Our current house is bigger than our trailer, so we have to prioritize and decide what we can really live without, and what we truly need. A big job. Hope I finish. Then, toward the end of the week: off to house #2. Pretty soon I will have to carry my birth kit in my van for "just in case". :)

1 comment:

  1. Kelly,
    Enjoy your week "off" - and get some rest - you're going to need it.
    Keep that birth kit handy!!
    Bless you!

    ReplyDelete